We aren’t sure how it’s already the end of May, but we’re not mad about it!! Here in Austin, Memorial Day is the kick off to Summer because, let’s face it, it’s already hot in Texas. Whether you’re a music lover, outdoor adventurer, or a foodie - here in the heart of Texas, we’ve got a little something for everyone!
We’ve rounded up a few of our favorite things to do in the Austin/surrounding areas – feel free to snag the list below for your family outing or send to a friend and make the plans!
Feeling like a little fresh air while getting some movement? Check out one of our many beautiful hiking areas!
Barton Creek Greenbelt - a go-to for Austinites and outdoor enthusiasts!
- Enchanted Rock - located in Fredericksburg, this massive pink granite dome rising above Central Texas has become iconic!
- Mt. Bonnell - an iconic spot in Central Austin. Perfect for a short hike, great views and we’ve heard there has been a proposal or two!
- Pedernales Falls State Park - just 30 miles west of Austin, you can swim, hike or camp overnight.
If you’re a foodie, you’ve come to the right place! We swear every day there is a new restaurant popping up in Austin. Here are a few of our top visits!
Aba - Mediterranean restaurant originating from Chicago's historic Fulton Market District.
- Bird Bird Biscuit - Neighborhood eatery serving house-made buttermilk biscuit sandwiches for breakfast & lunch.
- Justine’s - Very late night dining. When you think you've gone too far, keep going.
- Perla’s - Located on South Congress, Perla's offers fresh fish and oysters flown in daily from both coasts.
- Red Ash - Grab some delicious homemade pasta at this restaurant influenced by the culinary traditions of Northern and Southern Italy.
And if you’re wanting the true Texan experience, BBQ is a must!!
Lake Austin, Lake Travis, Lady Bird Lake…take your pick! Whether you’d like to get on the water or soak up some rays next to it, we’ve got a few of our favorite recommendations below!
Hula Hut - Great food, even better views!
- Mozart’s - Get your caffeine boost while taking in the waterfront .
- Lake Austin Riverboats or Sunshine Machine Boat Tours - offer excursions around the lake!
- 360 Bridge - best photo op!
The Oasis - shopping, delicious food, and beautiful views of the lake!
- Pace Bend Park - It’s got it all! From hiking, to camping, to fishing, and of course, the views.
- Lake Travis Waterloo Adventures - The ultimate lake experience! A revolutionary floating water park, obstacle course, and private Island getaway.
Lady Bird Lake
Kayak on the Lake - Check out this list of places to rent kayaks and take in beautiful views of downtown Austin!
- Experience the Bats - Watch hundreds of bats fly out to “dinner” while the sun sets.
- Visit P6 at The Line Hotel - a good place to watch the bats as well!
And of course, if you’re in need of a sweet treat or two, we’ve got you covered! Check out our sweet offerings.
Images from Travis County Parks, Trip Advisor, Austin Monthly Magazine, 365 Austin, Visit Austin, vrconcierge.com, cntraveler.com, tripadvisor.com, Culture Map, Aba, austintexas.org and texashillcountry.com.